Monday 30 May 2011

Janet's Africa Trek

My name is Janet, I’m 50 years old and I live in Scotland. This photograph of me was taken just before breast cancer interrupted my life.

Janet by Janet's Africa Trek
Breast Cancer Care have supported me throughout the 22 months of my treatment with information, advice and practical help. I had my last treatment on 28th December and now I want to do something to make sure they can help the many thousands of other women (and men) who will be diagnosed each year.

Walking is something even I can do, so, in November 2011, I will be trekking in South Africa.

I have pledged to raise a minimum of £3500 for Breast Cancer Care and need to raise this amount by July 2011. 

If you would like to help please give what you can. 

I've started training in earnest now that the evenings are lighter for a bit longer. My Retriever, Monty, is my constant companion on my training walks. There's no slacking with Monty so he helps me keep up my pace. We manage about 11-12 miles most weekends now and 3 miles or so in the evening after work.


Monty by Janet's Africa Trek
I looked up the Potberg Mountains on Google Earth recently and realised that I need to do a bit more hillwalking! We had to go a bit further afield than Ayrshire since hills here are a bit scarce. I managed a few over the Easter holiday and now I know I need to improve my aerobic fitness.

As summer approaches I'm getting up ealier and taking Monty out before I go to work in the morning. I still haven't managed to lose any weight yet. Well..... walking makes you hungry!

No comments:

Post a Comment